Safety & Environmental Coordinator
Posted: Jun 10, 2020
The Human Energy of S&C
Integrity, enthusiasm, sustained energy. These are the traits that S&C has always looked for and found when seeking people to join our 100% employee-owned team. S&C supports these qualities with a strong package of pay and benefits, excellent education and training programs, a challenging work environment, and broad opportunities for advancement.
Address of Location: 6601 N Ridge Blvd, IL, Chicago 60626
Education Requirements: Bachelor’s Required
Relevant Work Experience Requirements: 1 to 3 Years
Reporting to the Assistant Manager- Global Safety & Environmental this position assists with company health, safety & environmental activities to assure compliance with legal requirements utilizing economical, effective, and efficient concepts. This position will work closely with Maintenance and Operations to provide technical consultation, support, and guidance to Leadership and Team Members on health, safety & environmental matters.
The responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Coordinate health, safety & environmental training for current and new team members.
- Maintain training records and documentation across the various shifts.
- Refine existing programs and procedures to improve effectiveness and efficiency, or eliminate their need.
- Maintain documents showing compliance with programs and procedures.
- Track Federal, State, and Local health, safety & environmental regulations and evaluates their effects on company operations.
- Interface with Operations, Engineering, Human Resources, Technology, Quality, Purchasing, Legal Affairs, and others to meet assigned safety & environmental objectives.
- Establish and coordinate facility audits and inspections to assure all facility operations are in compliance with Local, State, and Federal regulations, and corrective actions are completed and documented.
- Provide safety oversight, safety & environmental guidance and advice for existing operations, programs and procedures. These may include but are not limited to: Behavior-Based Safety (BBS) programs, Location Emergency Response Plan (LERP); Electrical Safety, Spill Prevention, Control and Countermeasures Plan (SPCC); Hazard Communication and GHS, Safety Data Sheets, TSCA, fire prevention. LOTO, Confined Space, Ergonomics, PIV, Asbestos, industrial air and noise monitoring, sustainability and waste management compliance, waste minimization, pollution prevention, air emissions, wastewater discharge, and monitoring, ERT, Safety Action Teams (SAT), DOT, OSHA requirements and proactive incident prevention and injury reduction.
- Prepare, calibrate, and use instrumentation to collect and analyze environmental, chemical, etc.; samples and other monitoring as needed.
- Review contractor’s site-specific health and safety plans to ensure contractors understand the associated hazards of their work and have appropriate mitigation strategies in place in addition to interfacing with the contractor management system ISNetworld
To select this job as one of interest to you, at a minimum, you must have the following:
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field such as Occupational Health & Safety, Environmental Engineering/Science, Chemical Engineering/Chemistry, or other Life Sciences.
- One to four years’ experience as a Health, Safety & Environmental Coordinator (preferred), or equivalent experience in a manufacturing environment.
- Demonstrated sustained high-level performance in safety & environmental functions with strong oral and written communication skills including the implementation of both leading and lagging metrics.
- Ability to simultaneously handle a variety of health, safety & environmental projects and assignments and to bring an effective approach to the solution of technical objectives.
- Proven ability to design and deliver training
- Incident Investigation proficiency including risk assessment and root cause analysis, countermeasure development and PDCA measures.
- Ability to work off hours occasionally and travel to other S&C Locations
- Experience operating power industrial vehicles such as forklifts.
Relevant Experience Required:
One to four years of experience as a Safety & Environmental Coordinator or equivalent experience in an engineering and manufacturing environment.
- Occupational Safety & Health Technician (OHST) certification or Associate Safety Professional (ASP) certifications from the Board of Certified of Safety Professionals (BCSP)
- Previous experience with working Intelex and/or other HSE data management software (Enablon, Cority, etc.)
MAJOR PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- This job may require periodic travel by car and/or airline to S&C locations and perform in-person inspections and investigations in a wide variety of factory and office environments or attend off-site seminars and training activities for continued safety and/or environmental development. 20% or less.
- Activities such as standing, extensive walking, climbing stairs/ladders, lifting, carrying, pushing, pulling, bending, reaching, handling and may be exposed to hot/cold temperatures will occasionally be required.
- Frequent use of computers and office equipment is required.
- Ability to support on call and work after hours as needed.
Number of Openings: 1.00
Employment Status: Exempt
Employment Classification: Full Time
Core Working Hours: Other Core Working Hours
S&C Electric Company is a global provider of equipment and services for electric power systems. Founded in 1911, the Chicago-based company designs and manufactures switching, protection, and control products for electric power transmission and distribution. S&C has global offices in the United States, Mexico, Canada, Brazil, the UK, and Australia.
S&C continues to advance new solutions for electric power delivery systems as the electric grid undergoes transformative changes in the 21st century. Utilities are working to integrate renewable energy sources, address peak loading issues, and manage the needs of electric vehicles. Looking at an increasingly complex and dynamic grid, S&C is working closely with it’s electric utility customers to understand their electric grids and business challenges they face – then innovating solutions to address their power-delivery challenges.
Additionally, S&C offers a wide range of engineering, laboratory, testing, and field services for electric utilities and commercial and industrial power systems.
Thank you for your interest in S&C Electric Company. S&C has a proud and longstanding tradition of providing equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, creed, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or marital status. Further, S&C is committed to taking affirmative action to ensure that qualified females, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities can pursue equal employment opportunities. For information regarding equal employment opportunity, please see http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf.